Like a recipe? Find it here!

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Some people think everything is better with bacon. Although I agree with that statement, I more so believe everything is better with hot sauce. Chili with hot sauce, Lays potato chips with hot sauce, eggs with hot sauce…they’re all fantastic. Matt (the boyfriend) sometimes doesn’t quite understand this. He will learn with time. I have faith in this. Along with my crazy obsession with hot sauce is an equal love for Mexican food. I could seriously eat it every day. I hope you are okay with that because there will be an abnormal amount of dishes inspired by the South of the Border on this blog.

Right now, easy is key. Let’s be serious…easy meals are practically always the answer. I’m a huge fan of the semi-homemade. I’ll admit it. Matt and I are training for a race and the meals I can prepare before our after-work run are the meals getting made. Not only is this dish extremely easy, it is so SO delicious. Thanks to my cousin, Cindy, this soup has traveled across the country and on to the tabletops of many!

Matt and I running the Virginia Beach Wicked 10K in 2010.



Chicken Tortilla Soup
(adapted from the kitchen of Cindy Fiester)

Ingredients
1 Cup Diced Onions
2-3 Cloves Crushed Garlic
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1- 16oz Can Fat Free Refried Beans
6 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1- 14.5oz Can Tomatoes (diced and undrained)
1 Can Black Beans (rinsed)
1 Can Corn (large or small can, your choice)
1-2 jalapenos (optional)
1/4 Cup Chopped Cilantro (I think I about quadrupled this amount, who doesn't love cilantro??)
1-2 Cups Cooked Chicken (optional if you don't eat meat)

Garnish Options
Hot Sauce
Tortilla Chips
Grated Cheese
Sour Cream

Directions
1. In a large sauce pan, saute onions and garlic in hot olive oil until tender.
2. Add refried beans, chicken broth, tomatoes, black beans, corn, jalapenos, and chicken. Mix well.
3. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
4. Stir in cilantro during last couple minutes.
5. Put chips in a bowl. Ladle soup on top and top with cheese.


Enjoy! :)

1 comment: