Like a recipe? Find it here!

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Lasagna with Sausage

Every time I receive a text or email from someone telling me they are making my recipes it warms my heart. I equally love the recipes yall are sending me and telling me to try. Matt considers cooking the perfect hobby for all of us… me because I like doing it, him because he gets to eat everything, and blogging is the perfect way for me to share it with all of you. 


So thank you for your comments and inspiration with other recipe ideas. And for putting up with my rants.


This recipe came from Matt’s sister, Chrissy, who is a phenomenal cook and mom of three. I have always wanted to try to make homemade lasagna. When she told me this was possibly the best lasagna she had ever had I was hooked. And let me tell you… this is WAY better than the Stouffer’s family size lasagna you find in the frozen section (the one I was not used to). There is something about making the sauce and the cheese filling yourself…you just know it’s going to be one delicious meal.

Another perk…since Matt and I are a “family” of two, this lasagna was our post run dinner for a good 4 or 5 days.

It. Was. Awesome.


Lasagna with Sausage
(Thank you, again, to Barefoot Contessa and Chrissy Grainger)

Ingredients
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Cup Chopped Yellow Onion (1 Onion)
2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1 1/2 Pounds Sausage, Casings Removed (Ina recommends Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage, I Went With Regular Sweet Italian Sausage)
1 (28-Ounce) Can Crushed Tomatoes in Tomato Puree
1 (6-Ounce) Can Tomato Paste
1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Flat-Leaf Parsley, Divided

1/2 Cup Chopped Fresh Basil Leaves
Kosher Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/2 Pound Lasagna Noodles (I Went With Whole Wheat)
15 Ounces Ricotta Cheese
3-4 Ounces Creamy Goat Cheese, Crumbled
1 Cup Grated Parmesan, Plus 1/4 Cup for Sprinkling
1 Extra-Large Egg, Lightly Beaten
1 Pound Fresh Mozzarella, Thinly Sliced

Directions
1. Preheat the over to 400 degrees.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large (10-12 inch) skillet. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent. Add garlic and cook for one more minute.
3. Add the sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8-10 minutes, or until no longer pink.
4. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, the basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
5. Simmer uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 15-20 minutes, until thickened.
6. Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with the hottest tap water. Add the noodles and allow them to sit in the water for 20 minutes. Drain.
7. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup of parmesan, the egg, the remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Set aside.
8. Ladle 1/3 of sauce into a 9 by 12 by 2 inch rectangular baking dish, spreading the sauce over the bottom of the dish. Then add the layers as follows: half the pasta, half the mozzarella, half the ricotta, and one third of the sauce.
9. Add the rest of the pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, and finally, sauce. Sprinkle top with 1/4 cup parmesan.
10. Bake for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling.


Enjoy! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment